Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting was a snap

I stood in line for about 20 minutes and then spent about another 10 on the ballot itself -- there were about 15 ballot initiatives and propositions. I was surprised that there was a line at all regardless of what I'd heard on NPR. Living in California is a lot like not living in the rest of the United States.

The only trouble I can report is the sun was in my eyes as I waiting in line and All Star Donuts proves problematic as a polling place location since people are fussing over creamer and stirrers and donuts and the smell of donuts is distracting. I would have liked to have exercised my democratic rights without the frenzy of a business, just this once.

I don't understand why we can't be given a receipt though. I mean, I leave with my ballot stubs and a preachy "I Voted" sticker and nothing else. I have no idea that my ballot has been accepted or not. In San Francisco County we use the optical scan technique, which sounds highly technical but in truth requires the voter to draw a line between two broken arrows and their choice so that a big bold arrow points at it.

I checked and rechecked. It all seemed to check out.

Now the waiting. And the drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home