Friday, August 19, 2005

New Catchphrase

Created this awesome new statement of observation last night at about midnight at the Burning Hearts Burlesque show my friend D dragged me to at this witchy-poo bar in Pioneer Square:

"I never wanted to know and now I do."

Funny thing about burlesque, or modern burlesque (you know, kinda tatooed and gothy, or Betty Page obsessed) is how incredibly unsexy it is. Also notable is how many of the ladies up on stage look horrified themselves. There's nothing dangerous about it and so it gets a little yawny. Yet, perhaps, naked girls just don't do it for me. Hark! I'm having a breakthrough!

That said, I did like the costumes and some of the acts were really creative and well thought out. My favorite was the hobo pinup (her pasties were patchwork!) dancing to "Busted" by Ray Charles--a big favorite song of mine. Another great act (done by the same gal) was an out and out Vegas showgirl thing, complete with sparkly blue headdress, done to some nasty little Tom Waits song. Just great. The two other A+ acts were both performed by a lady named Inga Ingenue (this link is safe for work, but I wouldn't go clickin' around on there. You just ne'er know.) She did kind of a mischevious girl scout thing and distributed cookies as well, and then returned in the second act as a drunk sailor who tipsied around to "Rum and Coca-Cola." She had the cutest little halter-top sailor bathing suit "on." See, I'm just in it for the costumes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home