Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's a Little Precious, But...

As it turns out, I like Devendra Banhart. I resisted his music for no good reason. HMS Pinafore-Ham-Vonlice bought that Oh Me Oh My long ago, and I just never listened to it.

Sure... the lyrics and worbly voicings are a bit cringeworthy, but isn't it high time that I stop getting so worked up and embarrassed by music? I'm fucking 30 for christ's ever-used sake. I think he'll probably mature into a really great songwriter, instead of a guy who's kind of scary and might jump out of the bushes at you--that's how I used to perceive him--kind of acid-soaked and persistently asking for change. There's a lot of that going on in my beloved ex-city home, San Francisco. Note to SF: I really, really miss you, but it's better this way--we're doing better apart.

Anyway, I like what he's doing on the more straight-forward Cripple Crow. He's taking pages from the American music encyclopedia, so we get some Beatles-esque pop and some do-wop ditties too. And the folk is the root.

Relatedly, I once met some of those Vetiver guys. They're very nice. These sentences, this idea, were/is only, just related, though.

I also like David Sylvian.

2 Comments:

Blogger c'est trivial said...

yeah, i got flamed (in person!) by hamliceular for confessin' this in public. but, you know what? he hadn't lissened to the record, the way george michael would lissen.

in a bathroom stall?
holding an apendage?

NO!

without prejudice!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamlice Speaketh,

I've heard 2 of his other records, which I don't care for. The new one I haven't heard.

Seattle is waiting in anticipation for Baron DuckSuit and Lady BarfHike.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home