Wednesday, September 01, 2004

A food renaissance

What is a food renaissance? This is a time of my (maybe yours) life when foods that originally seemed revolting for the first time become urgently delicious. I have had several renaissances in my life: milk (albeit soy milk) on cereal, tuna fish, tomatoes (though I am still a bit suspect of the mushy ones), and my current -- blue cheese. How can something that is visibly rotten be so good? I don't know, but it can.

It is Maytag Blue cheese which I'm told is made in small batches in Iowa, so you know it must be wholesome. It is especially good as all the foodies will tell you on apples and pears and also on salads with balsamic vinegar and then all together: the cheese, the apples and pears and the vinegar.

Tuna fish did take some getting used to. The point of it all seemed revolting: creamy + canned fish. I've removed the creamy aspect from the tuna fish altogether. Instead it is better without the horrid mayonnaise (may the dark ages never end on this one...I don't think I can live as an outward mayonnaise eater), with mustard, with balsamic vinegar, with olive oil as a kind of saladless nicoise salad.

For a time there was a drought. Cereal was happily consumed dry. And then it rained soy milk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home