Monday, July 18, 2005

Time's Tide Will Smother You

So I was getting coffee (like, for real?)this morning and the newspaper told me something very strange. Seems like they've gone and made a theatrical musical of Smiths songs and somehow there's a trapeze dancer in there too. I feel pretty conflicted about this, (as if it matters what I think--it's not like if I don't like it'll magically disappear, though I t'wouldn't complain if that were the case with, like, other things.) I feel conflicted that it could dissolve into some kind of Mamma Mia disaster where the songs tell a story. Because I hate stories!

Anyway, I read the article later when I had the time and was struck by this sentence--I guess the two masterminds behind the thing were trying to figure out what body of work to turn into a musical... Loggins and Messina? R.E.O. Speedwagon...
"...Smiths songs offered possibilities for "a singing actor." He explained, "It just occurred to me that there was something theatrical in the songs, but what that was didn't really exist yet."


But aren't all them songs totally theatrical? We're talking about Morrissey here, right? I mean his whole shtick from vegetarianism to celibacy was just that--theater! You thought he was serious when he said, I wear black on the outside/'cuz black is how I feel on the inside . That's humor! Humor is theater. Theater is cunning. Cunning is clever. Clever is coy. Coyness is nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home