Friday, May 19, 2006

Record Abortions

No, not a record-breaking number of abortions. Rather, records that made it into this world but that really should've been aborted.

I was discussing this with Hamlice as the Microphones' record It Was Hot We Stayed in the Water blared away in the background in our pretty hot apartment yesterday afternoon. A bit of background: It has been hot here in this wonky little burg, something that's rare and lovely. H had made a peanut-sauce-chicken-noodle-spicy thing and, like I said, we were eating, talking, and dammit that record was really distracting. Typically I like this record. It's a shitty basement recording, but I feel like the Mt.Eerie guy knows what he's doing--even when he's bringing marching band drums to the mix. And, Mirah, she's pretty capable, and I like how her voice sounds soft and spare and sweet. During this scene, I almost forgot to water the new pumpkin plant that I planted behind our apartment. I'd already left it three days in blaring 75-degree sun. I found it barely holding on. It had grown, but it was waning and yellow. I planted it near the massive, inedible rhubarb bush and I hope that the two will mingle and maybe get to know one another. I got freaked out by my environmental footprint the other day and realized via the Internet that if everyone lived like me we'd need 4.5 earths.

That's a lot of earths!

The city is willing to sell us a $200 compost system for a measly $40. So soon we will do this and have racoon babies living in the rhubarb.

Have you ever met a full-grown raccoon, one late afternoon that's just-a bleeding into the night?

Anyway, there are a whole swath of records that aren't just lo fi, that should've been stopped during the recording process in the damp basements of Olympia, the hothouses of midwest, the high-rent indie-rock producing studios in the Northeast, and the California's answer to it's absent basements: the practice space.

More: I like lo fi. I like the Aerial Pink records I've heard. I like hi-fi, too. But, I don't like these records.

On Avery Island


Michigan



Note: This blog is now completely devoted to things I don't like. Why, you might ask am I giving these things I don't enjoy such prominence?
Note2: At first I thought this list was going to be really long and say a lot, but I got tired.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wot about in the aeroplane over the sea?

curious

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...so you're not speaking about the millions of pre-birth astroembryos jettisoned into innerspace abyss'?

Interesting concept. I would have aborted the band Yo La Tango about 8 years ago, thus sparing us those last two miserable records.

Dr. Dr

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home