Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Retraction!

A little while ago I mistakenly linked Lyndon LaRouche with the libertarian party. But! One asute reader has pointed out that LaRouche is not a libertarian. I guess I just thought he was libertarian because he's linked in my mind with other such wackiness like being a libertarian and the Reverend Moon's unification church.

A very quick poll of one other person besides me yields the same results, the belief that LaRouche is libertarian. However, I did a very very tiny amount of research and found that LaRouche is not libertarian, hence my retraction.

My research methodology: using the search engine filled with "Larouche + Libertarian" hits of certain other websites match my query, and somewhere within each of them the there's a common point made that LaRouche is commonly mistaken for a libertarian, but is actually probably a Democrat or maybe even a communist.

But why is he mistakenly thought of as libertarian?

I venture two hypotheses:

  • He's wacko and many people equate wacko or kookoo with libertarian
  • He was linked with that party in error via the media

The results are mixed. Seems two out of two people just polled have a hunch that he's a libertarian and subscribe to the first theory while two out of two people just polled think he was maybe linked incorrectly by the media with that said party that I am now tired of typing.

I found something about it, maybe that Time magazine made the error and then never retracted it. But I found that on a libertarian website, and we all know I can't trust that kind of source. If only I had a subscription to LexisNexis.

And further, why do two out of two people polled in my living room tonight believe that libertarians are so wacky?

More investigations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home